Monday, September 9, 2013

Episode #2

No podcast yet again today. Fortunately though, this time next week I should have copies for my first three shows up and ready to share. In the meantime another simple playlist will have to suffice. It was a busy show today with my son Felix constantly trying to turn my microphone on and off (and when I was talking on air he was quick to tell me I talk too much), and Tim Hoover popping in to gush over Duke Ellington's Money Jungle. I hope that enthusiasm was evident through the content of the show itself. For the most part today, I stuck with classics on the jazz front celebrating Elvin Jones' birthday with a variety of recordings, and then threw in some new stuff from Billy Martin and Nick Fraser  for good measure. I even found a way to include Julia Holter's Loud City Song and Forrest Sword's Engravings, two records I can't recommend highly enough. Anyways, here's the playlist.

1.) John Coltrane - "Acknowledgement" (From the album A Love Supreme)
2.) Elvin Jones/Jimmy Garrison Sextet - "Nuttin' Out Jones" (From the album Illumination!)
3.) Elvin Jones/Jimmy Garrison Sextet - "Gettin' On Way" (From the album Illumination!)
4.) Billy Martin's Wicked Knee - "Sugarfoot Stomp" (From the album Heels Over Head)
5.) Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, Max Roach - "Caravan" (From the album Money Jungle)
6.) Mountains - "Millions of Time" (From the album Mountains, Mountains, Mountains)
7.) Forrest Swords - "Onward" (From the album Engravings)
8.) Boundary - "Long Story Short" (From the album Boundary)
9.) Julia Holter - "Maxim I" (From the album Loud City Song)
10.) Ornette Coleman - "Sleep Talking" (From the album Sound Grammar)
11.) Nick Fraser - "Tricycle" (From the album Towns and Villages)
12.) Albert Ayler - "In Heart Only" (From the album Live in St. Paul de Vance)

No comments:

Post a Comment