Thursday, November 19, 2015

November 18: Don Cherry Has a Birthday


Yesterday was Don Cherry's birthday. The man with the tiny trumpet would have turned 79. To celebrate, I pulled out some of my personal highlights of his own catalog as well as some stuff from his work with Albert Ayler. I chose not to go the Ornette Coleman Quartet route, because I need to pace myself on that one. I can't think of a group that has hit me harder over the years than that one, as any long time listener of my show can attest. So no Coleman group. But there's still plenty of great stuff to pull from the man's fantastic career (side note, the Pharaoh Sanders solo on "Taste Maker" is a thing to behold!)

I also finally got to playing some Kamasi Washington. Situating him next to FlyLo and Kendrick makes Epic that much more enjoyable.

Listen to the show here. Again, the show starts a few minutes in.

Playlist is as follows:

Set 1:
1. Don Cherry: "Hope" from Organic Music Society
2. Flying Lotus: "Turkey Dog Coma" from Your Dead!
3. Kamasi Washington: "The Message" from Epic
4. Kendrick Lamar: "Alright" from To Pimp a Butterfly

Set 2:
1. Heather Leigh: "Fairfield Fantasy" from I Abused Animal
2. Rafael Anton Irisarri: "Persistence" from A Fragile Geography
3. Greenhouse: "Your Favourite Place" from Cold Wires

Set 3:
1. Albert Ayler Quartet: "Spirits" from The Hilversum Sessions
2. Don Cherry Quartet: "Taste Maker" from Where is Brooklyn?
3. Don Cherry: "Complete Communion" from Complete Communion

No comments:

Post a Comment